There are many reasons for why people quit their job. Here are some of the reasons for why some people quit:
They miss other challenges in their work:
- You do not feel valued in the workplace.
- You want to try new stuff.
- The job does not give you the opportunities you need
- You want to move to a new city
- You were offered a better job
Now that you have realised that you want to quit your job, you need to find out how to do it correctly so you leave on good terms.
How to do it gracefully
But when you want to quit your job, there is a graceful way to do it. Here are the steps to do it. There are also steps before and after you have quit your job.
Before you resign:
- Make sure that you are the one to tell your boss that you are resigning. If the boss hears it from others, it will look like you blindsided your boss.
- Schedule a personal meeting with your boss about an important matter.
- Plan the resignation ahead, so you will give at least two weeks notice.
When you resign:
- Do it face to face in a personal meeting or alternatively a video call.
- Thank your boss for the opportunity to work with them.
- Offer to help create a transition plan so your replacement can set both your company and your replacement up for success.
After you’ve resigned:
- Make sure that you follow up on writing after telling your boss about your resignation. This could either be by email or a letter.